FuelSure protects your diesel vehicle from misfuelling with petrol.
FuelSure can be fitted by anyone to most cars and vans - plus it’s fully transferable. The unique cap locking mechanism means that only a diesel nozzle will open the filler cap.
Click on the below questions to reveal the answer.
- Will FuelSure fit my car?
- FuelSure is compatible with the following vehicles:
- What is misfuelling?
- Misfuelling is when you put unleaded petrol into a diesel cars' fuel tank.
- Will diesel misfuelling harm my car?
- Yes, when the diesel fuel enters the engine or fuel system the vehicle may just stall and run poorly. In some cases, however, diesel misfuelling can severely damage the engine and easily ruin the injectors due to a lack of lubrication. Such damage could cost thousands to repair. If you notice your mistake early, do not start the engine and get the tank drained as soon as possible.
- Does petrol misfuelling happen?
- Yes, but not as often as diesel misfuelling. This is because a diesel nozzle is wider than a petrol nozzle and so would not fit into the diesel tank without some difficulty.
- Is there a solution to prevent diesel misfuelling?
- Yes, FuelSure can be fitted to most cars and vans. The unique cap locking mechanism means that only a diesel nozzle will open the filler, therefore preventing the tank being filled with the wrong fuel. This a very simple method of preventing diesel misfuelling as FuelSure does not need to be fitted by a mechanic and does not require any special tools.
- Does my breakdown cover really cover misfuelling?
- Misfuelling is usually not covered by your manufacturer or breakdown assistance provider unless stated otherwise. However, most will tow your car to a local dealer or garage for repair; recovery beyond this is normally chargeable.
- Is misfuelling covered on my insurance?
- Even with comprehensive cover, misfuelling is generally excluded from insurance policies or not mentioned at all. If you have a third-party insurance company, expect to foot the bill yourself.
- What if my car is on contract hire?
- Most likely you´ll have to meet the cost of any repairs yourself if your car is on PCP (Personal Contract Purchase) or contract hire.
- How does misfuelling happen?
- Misfuelling can be a relatively simple mistake to make if you’re in a rush or not concentrating on what you’re doing. Petrol pump nozzles are smaller than diesel nozzles so can fit into a diesel tank easily without alerting you to your mistake. Also, the colour of the fuel pump can be to blame. Diesel pumps were traditionally black, unleaded petrol green and four-star leaded petrol red. However, modern-day diesel pumps are often green which may enhance fuel suppliers´ eco credentials but can cost vehicle owners a fair sum of money in repairs.
- What do I do if I misfuel?
- If your car is a diesel and you fill the tank with petrol but do not start the engine, the least you would have to do is get the tank drained. However, if you’ve started the engine after misfuelling or driven, even for a short distance, the worst case scenario would be a full engine replacement. If you do misfuel, don’t get embarrassed and think it’s best to break down than push your car off the forecourt; this could transform your repair costs from a few hundred pounds to a few thousand.